Welcome to the ODPS Military Heroes

Questions & Answers

Answers are displayed once the question has been selected.


Q. How can a returning veteran obtain service credit with the State of Ohio pension systems?

For PERS employees, service credit options can be discussed by contacting OPERS directly. More information can be found under https://www.opers.org/members/faq/service-credit.shtml. For HPRS employees, by statute they may purchase the employee portion of service credit. After this is complete, then the HPRS will bill the Dept. of Public Safety for the agency share.

Q. What kind of power of attorney will I need?

You will need both. There is a generalized power of attorney and a specialized power of attorney. A Generalized power of attorney can be used for almost anything. The specialized power of attorney is for specific actions.

Q. What are the time limits for using benefits?

Veteran's have ten (10) years from the date they were last released from active duty to use their education benefits.

Reservists and National Guard members have ten (10) years from their eligibility date, which is determined by the Department of Defense or the Department of Transportation.

Spouses have ten (10) years from the date the VA determines them eligible.

Children are generally eligible from age 18 until the age of 26.

Q. What are military license plates?

Any veteran who is retired from any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States may apply. The veteran must submit proof of retirement from the specific branch of the United States Armed Forces.

For more information please click here

Q. How can I find the nearest Veteran's Affairs medical facility or cemetery?

To find the Veteran's Affairs location nearest you visit click here.

Q. I served in the US Army and was awarded a medal, which I have since lost. Is there any way to replace my lost medal?

Yes, if you have lost a medal you can obtain a new one.

Contact: National Personnel Records Center
Attn: Army Reference Branch
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis MO 63132-5100
E-mail: MPR.center@nara.gov
Phone (314) 5384261

Q. When I return from deployment, will I still have my job?

Yes, you will have the same position you had when you deployed

Q. What do I do when I receive deployment orders? What does DPS require?

A copy of your orders should be given to your supervisor and then your time entered into HMS.

Q. How many hours of military leave is a state employee entitled to receive each year?

Permanent public employees are entitled to a leave of absence from their respective positions without loss of pay for periods up to one month for each calendar year in which they are performing service in the uniformed services. A month means 22 eight-hour workdays or 176 hours within one calendar year.

Q. What happens when I have exhausted this calendar year's 22 work days or 176 hours?

Once you have exhausted all 22 work days or 176 hours in a calendar year, you may be placed on a leave of absence or use your available vacation, personal or comp time balances. After exhaustion of all balances you will be placed on a leave of absence without pay.

Q. I have a balance of military leave hours. Can I carry forward those hours to next calendar year's allotment of 176 hours?

No, unused hours are lost.

Q. Can I use my available leave balances while I am activated to make my health insurance premium payment?

Vacation, personal and comp time balances may be used. Employees will not be permitted to use 8 hours of paid leave per pay period or allowed to jump back and forth from paid leave to "no pay" status. Example: An employee may not use eight hours of vacation the first payroll of the month,"no pay" the second payroll, then use eight hours of vacation for the first payroll the next month. An employee may not spread out a remaining balance of 40 hours of vacation leave by taking 8 hours over 5 pay periods. If the employee has elected to take those 40 hours of vacation, it will be used in a lump. Sick leave may not be used.

Q. What happens to my supplemental life insurance policy while I am on active duty?

If you wish to continue your coverage, you must contact Prudential to make arrangements for direct payments. Your rate will not change unless you enter a new rate level based on your age. If you do not continue coverage, you may enroll again at any open enrollment period.

Q. I am currently enrolled in Long Term Care. How can I continue coverage?

You will need to contact Aetna to make arrangements for paying the premium directly to them. Aetna's number is 1-800-537-8521.

Q. What documents are required to be reinstated to my position?

To be entitled to reinstatement/reemployment, you must receive a certificate of satisfactory service or general discharge (e.g., under honorable conditions).

Q. When will I be reinstated upon completion of active duty?

You must apply for reinstatement after you return from uniformed service leave to your agency, within the period set forth below:

For reinstatement from leaves of less than 30 days: Immediately upon release from duty, you will be returned to the same or similar position within your former classification. Your agency must allow for travel time and eight hours of rest;

Leaves of 31 to 180 days: Reinstatement within 14 days of completing uniformed service requirement;

Leaves of more than 180 days: Reinstatement within 90 days of completing uniformed service requirement.

Q. What is Military Differential Pay?

Due to SB 164, the Ohio Revised Code authorizes the payment of a supplement to those employees who are called to Federal Duty as a result of a Presidential Executive Order or an Act of Congress for a period in excess of 31 days. Each employee who is on Federal Duty shall be paid the difference between the employee's gross monthly wage or salary as a State of Ohio employee and the sum of the employee's gross uniformed pay and allowances received that month. The supplement is calculated by determining the difference between your monthly gross state wage or salary and the sum of your monthly gross military pay and allowances. A worksheet has been provided by DAS to all agency payroll officers. You will need to supply this information to the agency payroll office to receive any differential pay.

Medicare, federal, state, municipal and school district income tax and attachments will be withheld as applicable. No deductions, however, will be made for retirement systems, union dues, fair share fees or voluntary deductions.